12×28 Shed – Garden, Lofted Barn, and Utility Sheds
A 12×28 shed is a large shed with lots of room for storage and outdoor equipment. It is large enough to be used as an office or even a guest house! If you are looking for a large shed but can’t decide what size is right for you, a 12×28 might be the perfect choice for you and your needs. This page outlines the pros and cons, purposes, and uses of 12×28 sized Garden Sheds, Lofted Barns, and Utility Sheds. Want to learn more about different shed sizes? Click here to contact Classic Buildings today!
Pros and Cons: 12×28 Sheds
12×28 sheds are very large and can provide you with all the storage space you may need. Larger than the 14×20 shed but slightly smaller than the 14×28 shed, they provide tons of additional storage space and, depending on the size of the yard, will not take up the entire backyard. 12×28 sheds are very similar in size to 14×28 size sheds and have similar pros and cons.
- Large and easily customizable space – can add many custom options and features
- Can be used as an office space (in addition to storage or as an office space alone)
- Slightly smaller and more compact than the 14×28 without sacrificing too much storage space
- Can add lots of windows, flower boxes, etc.
- Enough space to store large items and can even be used instead of a storage unit
- Looks beautiful in your yard and can actually be part of your landscape
- Big enough to be used as a multi-purpose building
- Can store lots of tools, gardening equipment, and other outdoor gear including lawnmowers, ATVs, etc.
- May not be suitable for all sized yards
- May take up too much yard space
- Larger sheds may be difficult to transport
- Very long – may be a pro or con depending on your needs and preference
- Larger sheds require more maintenance, regardless of specific dimensions – more shed = more care
- More expensive than smaller sheds
Looking for more shed sizes?
12×28 Shed Uses
Many larger sheds work well as multi-purpose buildings. Of course, your shed is yours to do whatever you please with! Because sheds are so easily customizable, the possibilities are almost endless. A 12×28 shed can be used exclusively for storage, as a guest house, as an office, or as a combination of these and other purposes! Many average backyard sheds are 8×8 or 10×10. Imagine all you can do with a 12×28 sized shed! The following provides some examples of how you might choose to organize your 12×28 shed.
[ngg_images source=”galleries” container_ids=”142″ sortorder=”1481,1479,1480″ display_type=”photocrati-nextgen_basic_imagebrowser” ajax_pagination=”1″ order_by=”sortorder” order_direction=”ASC” returns=”included” maximum_entity_count=”500″]
Like all sheds, a 12×28 shed is great as a storage building! Whether you add a few shelves, hooks, and storage containers and use one corner for storage, or choose to use the entire building as your own personal storage unit, 12×28 sheds will help take the strain off your bursting attic or garage. As with any larger shed, remember to stay organized and keep a pathway between objects! An overpacked shed can make it difficult to find your much-needed items. Label boxes and resist the urge to stack and pack without taking note of where items are.
Garden Shed and/or Workshop
If the multi-purpose shed life isn’t really for you and you’re looking for more traditional shed uses, a 12×28 shed can still be used as a garden shed and/or a workshop! Though it may be a bit too large for storing just a few simple seeds and tools, if you are an avid gardener or love working outdoors, this shed size may be just right for a garden/workshop shed. Add in a tool bench, hooks, and shelves and you’re pretty much ready to go! If you’ve got a green thumb, you can even modify your shed and convert it into a greenhouse!
Running out of office space in your own home? A backyard shed can be the ultimate office space solution. A 12×28 sized shed can make for a large office big enough for you and for others if you do collaborative work! There are tons of DIY shed-into-office guides and videos out there. Check out the video below to see Catherine of Simple Honest Design explain the process of turning her backyard shed into an at-home office.
As with any large shed, the opportunities are almost endless. There are so many creative ideas for how to transform your shed into a unique space just for you. Here are some great ideas for your 12×28 shed:
- Artist Studio or Craft Workshop – An outdoor space is a great place for inspiration, and may be the best place to set up your brand new artist studio. Paint, draw, and craft in your own fully outfitted, personalized workspace!
- Man-Cave or She-Shed – Need a space that’s all yours? Ever heard of the man cave or she-shed? What used to be an option for basements and spare bedrooms is now an awesome shed trend! Any large shed, including a 12×28 sized shed, could be perfect for use as either a man cave or she-shed!
- Guest House/Room – A 12×28 shed can be used entirely as a personal hotel for guests! Or, if you still need the storage space, you can clear out a section and add a few essentials like a bed, night stand, lamp, and desk. If you choose to go the multi-purpose route, remember to keep the storage space neat and tidy! Your guests may not feel safe sleeping beside nearly toppling bins and broken objects.
What to Store in a 12×28 Shed
Because sheds come in various styles and are so easily customizable, your 12×28 sized shed may be able to store more or less than your neighbor’s 12×28 sized shed. Lofts, shelves, hooks, additional windows or doors, and other custom options will all change the storage capabilities of your shed. Here are some general tips on what you can store in a 12×28 shed.
Note: the sheds in the images below are not 12×28 but are intended to show you the style of each shed type.
The garden shed is a classic, attractive shed perfect for any backyard. Here are some items you can store in your garden shed:
» Many bicycles, skateboards, and other outdoor equipment
» Grass seed, gardening tools, fertilizer
» Multiple items that no longer fit in the home
» Pool equipment and outdoor furniture
» Large vehicles such as riding lawnmowers
The lofted barn has two lofts positioned wherever you like! Here are some items you can store in your lofted barn:
» Yard ornaments, Christmas decorations, or other small fragile items (the loft is perfect for storing these items!)
» Yard sale items or shop items
» Unused furniture or outdoor furniture
The utility shed is practical, economical, and a great storage solution. Here are some items you can store in your utility shed:
» Yard decor, yard ornaments, unused furniture, or outdoor furniture
» Lawnmowers and ATVs
» Gardening equipment
» Tools, including large tools and machinery
Ready to Buy A 12×28 Shed?
Remember, before buying a shed you should be aware of the shed permit requirements of your municipality. Sometimes permit requirements depend on the size of your shed. A 12×28 shed is considered large and will likely require a permit. Make sure you know the requirements of your area to avoid fines and headaches!
Classic Buildings has locations throughout the Midwest, including various Missouri cities (St. Louis, Arnold, Columbia, St. Charles, Rolla, Linn, Springfield, Jefferson City, Kansas City, and Washington Missouri). We are located in Swansea, Illinois and Kansas and deliver throughout the Midwest, and, in some cases, nationwide!
“We just had our 12 X 28 Garage delivered yesterday. We must tell you how pleased we are with our purchase and Classic Buildings. The quality of materials used and their application were as good or better on the delivered product as was used on the display which is what sold me on your product when we purchased.”
–Ralph W. & Emma VanGennip, St. Charles Missouri – Read more testimonials here!
Did you know Classic Buildings offers a rent-to-own option?